Easy Banana Bread
I watch several youngsters each day while their parents are at work. They come running when I announce it's time to cook. This bread is one of their favorite treats to help bake and eat.—Sharon Ward, King Ferry, New York
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Combine
- the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with bananas, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing
- from pan; cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices.).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.