Easy Baked Potato Soup Recipe
I came up with this comforting soup when I was crunched for time and wanted to use up leftover baked potatoes. Since then, it has become a mealtime staple. Its wonderful aroma always gets cheers from my husband when he arrives home from work. —Julie Smithouser, Colorado Springs, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 3 to 4 medium baking potatoes, baked
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Peel and dice the baked potatoes; set aside. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons drippings.
- 2. Add the soups, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, pepper, Liquid Smoke if desired and reserved potatoes to the drippings.
- 3. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream; cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with cheddar cheese and bacon. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 261 calories, 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC