Easy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup seasoned salad croutons, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring cream, milk, salt and garlic powder to a boil. Add potatoes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Coarsely crush 1/4 cup of croutons. Remove potatoes from the heat. Gently stir in the crushed croutons and pepper.
- 2. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup: 269 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Easy Au Gratin Potatoes
"Recipe saved! What a **wonderful recipe**. Like fact that it makes smaller batch than usual 13x9x2 pan. Just right size for us. Also like fact that carb. count is NOT out of this world. Thank You for sharing TOH!! J."
"I loved the idea of cooking the potatoes in the milk before hand. I tripled the recipe to have it fit in a 9 x 12 pan. I didn't have any salad croutons so I used canned crunchy onion rings instead. No one was the wiser! Tripled, I had to cook the potatoes a little longer, about 20 - 30 minutes. Be sure and reduce the heat to low so potatoes won't get burned!"
"Excellent liked the crushed up croutons and cheese great flavor."
"What a wonderful recipe. I used a little more salt, 1/2 tsp. sugar, and 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg (because I always add a little sugar and nutmeg to white sauces). I am thrilled to have found this recipe and it was interesting that the potatoes were cooked in the milk. For probably the first time ever, my potatoes did not curdle and that is a "good" thing! This will be my go to recipe for au gratin potatoes. Also, I used red potatoes because they have so much more flavor than other potatoes. I do hope others try this really good recipe."