Easy Au Gratin Potatoes
One taste of this classic comforting dish and you'll never buy a store-bought box of au gratin potatoes again! The thinly sliced "spuds" cook up tender in no time. Your family will request this many times over.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup seasoned salad croutons, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring cream, milk, salt and garlic powder to a
- boil. Add potatoes; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- or until the potatoes are tender. Coarsely crush 1/4 cup of
- croutons. Remove potatoes from the heat. Gently stir in the crushed
- croutons and pepper.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and
- remaining croutons. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 5-6 minutes or
- until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 269 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.