Easy Apple Strudel Recipe
"My family always loves it when I make this wonderful dessert," writes Joanie Fuson of McCordsville, Indiana. "Old-fashioned strudel was too fattening and time-consuming, but this revised classic is just as good. It's best served warm from the oven."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups coarsely chopped peeled apples
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a microwave-save bowl, combine the raisins, water and almond extract. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Add the apples, 1/3 cup sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface. Combine butter and oil; set aside 2 teaspoons. Lightly brush some of the remaining butter mixture over phyllo dough. Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out. Layer with 7 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with some of the butter mixture. Spread apple mixture over phyllo to within 2 in. of one long side. Fold the short edges over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the long side where the apple filling is 2 in. from edge.
- 3. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits into top of strudel. Brush with reserved butter mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece equals 205 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 121 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC