Easy Apple Cobbler Recipe
My daughter-in-law is a diabetic, so I came up with this recipe especially for her. But this cobbler is so good, the whole family enjoys it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 4 cups sliced peeled apples (about 3 large)
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 5 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. Put the apples, 1/2 cup water, lemon juice and salt in a microwave-safe 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir, then cook 2 minutes more. Combine the cornstarch, sweetener cinnamon and remaining water; stir into hot apples. Microwave for 30 seconds.
- 2. For topping, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture forms small crumbs. Stir in milk with a fork. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto hot apple mixture. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: 1/4 of recipe equals 108 calories, 216 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 35 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 5 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC