Easy Apple Cake Recipe
Flavored with cinnamon and apples, Sherry Ashenfelter’s rich, old-fashioned apple cake is moist, dense and down-home delicious. Even better, it 's quick to fix and, served warm with whipped cream or a dollop of frozen custard, one of her Waterville, Ohio family’s very favorite recipes for decades.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/4 cups whipped topping
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Fold in apples and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 20 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon topping equals 278 calories, 16 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 169 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC