Easter Sugar Sandwich Cookies Recipe
Make these fruit-filled sugar cookies from our Test Kitchen throughout the year by using different cookie cutter shapes.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup raspberry filling
- 1/3 cup apricot filling
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough. Using a small floured bunny- or chick-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of half of the cookies.
- 3. Place cookies and cutouts 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. Spread bottoms of the solid cookies with filling; place cookies with cutout centers over filling. Serve with cutouts. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies and 1-1/2 dozen small cutouts.
1 serving (1 each) equals 188 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Easter Sugar Sandwich Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC