- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Assorted colored sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until blended. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape one portion of dough into six egg-shaped rolls. Arrange rolls with side touching in the center of a large greased baking sheet. Roll each remaining portion of dough into 24-in. ropes; twist together. Wrap around the rolls; pinch ends together to seal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over coffee cake. Immediately sprinkle eggs with colored sugar. For grass, combine water and food coloring in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add coconut; shake until tinted. Sprinkle around edge of coffee cake nest. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Easter Nest Coffee Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p158
Reviews for Easter Nest Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review