Easter Hot Cross Buns Recipe
"We looked forward to eating Mom's hot cross buns on Easter morning for many years," recalls Barbara Jean Lull of Fullerton, California. This scaled-down version makes just six buns!
- 2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground allspice
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Stir in butter, egg, sugar and salt. Combine 3/4 cup flour, raisins, currants, cinnamon and allspice; add to the yeast mixture and mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; shape into six 2-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on top of each bun. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over buns. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; pipe over buns. Yield: 6 buns.
One bun equals 215 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC