- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) pastel miniature marshmallows
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, eggs, lemon juice and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Cool to room temperature.
- Fold in whipped cream. In a large bowl, combine the oranges, marshmallows, cherries and reserved pineapple; fold in cooked dressing. Refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forEaster Fruit Salad
"I made this just as written except that I used gluten-free all-purpose flour in the dressing rather than the regular all-purpose. I took this to a ladies' brunch; its pastel colors were so pretty. My dad and my hubby enjoyed the leftovers, though. I will definitely be making this again; it might make a nice tradition for Easter. But next time, I think I will cut way down on the maraschino cherries and just use a few for color. (The large amount made the salad almost too sweet for my tastes.) I would probably add a second can of mandarin oranges to make up for not using the entire jar of cherries. Definitely a keeper recipe!"
"Fun to make with the kids."
"I only rate things that I make exactly as the recipe is written. I will make this again but will cut at least half of the marshmallows. The pudding is delicious but totally absorbed by the overpowering marshmallows. Can't hardly even tell the fruit is there. Will probably add bananas next time also."
"where do you find the colored miniture marshmallows? I wanted some for Christmas, and could not find them anywhere!"
"This fruit salad made a sweet treat for my families Easter lunch. I added half the bag of marshemallows and felt that was plenty!"