- Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. egg-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in.
- apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Make a hole for a ribbon by
- pressing a plastic straw 1/2-in. from the top of each cookie if
- desired. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, sift confectioners' sugar and meringue powder into a large
- bowl. Add water and extract; beat on low speed until blended. Beat
- on high for 5 minutes.
- Fill a pastry or plastic bag with 1 cup of icing; cut a small hole in
- the corner of the bag. Outline each cookie with icing. Tint
- remaining icing with food coloring if desired. Add water, a few
- drops at a time, until mixture is thin enough to flow smoothly. Fill
- in the center space of each cookie, allowing the icing to spread to
- the outline. Let dry overnight.
- Decorate with remaining icing. Store in airtight containers. Thread
- ribbon through holes, tie ends in a bow and hang on an Easter tree
- if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 199 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.