Easter Egg Cookies Recipe
My mother started baking these cookies with me and my eight brothers and sisters when I was a child," reveals Barbara Neuweg of West Point, Iowa, "and I carried on the tradition with our four youngsters when they were little." Now, it may not be long before Barbara's children begin making the cookies with their own tots. Reports Mom, "They've all left home to start families of their own."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Cake decorating gel, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, oats and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three equal portions.
- 2. Form 12 egg-shaped cookies from each portion. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- 3. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; spoon over cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC