Easter Egg Cookies Recipe
My mother started baking these cookies with me and my eight brothers and sisters when I was a child," reveals Barbara Neuweg of West Point, Iowa, "and I carried on the tradition with our four youngsters when they were little." Now, it may not be long before Barbara's children begin making the cookies with their own tots. Reports Mom, "They've all left home to start families of their own."
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Cake decorating gel, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, oats and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three equal portions.
- Form 12 egg-shaped cookies from each portion. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; spoon over cookies. Decorate as desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Easter Egg Cookies in Country Woman March/April 1997, p32
Reviews for Easter Egg Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2011
"This is a fun recipe to make with my two girls ages 5 & 7. They were help with everything and LOVED decorating them!"