Easter Basket Cake Recipe
Your guests won't guess how simple it is to cut and assemble this crowd-pleasing cake. Food coloring brightens the store-bought frosting that decorates the basket and eggs, and turns flaked coconut into green Easter grass.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cups vanilla frosting
- Pink, yellow, blue and purple gel or paste food coloring
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes; invert cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Referring to this diagram, cut cake into a basket, handle and six eggs. Arrange basket and handle on a 19-in. x 14-in. covered board. Place 1/4 cup of frosting in each of three bowls; tint one pink, one yellow and one blue. Place 1 cup frosting in another bowl; tint purple. Leave the remaining frosting white.
- 4. Frost the basket purple. Frost the sides of the handle white. Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag insert star tip #32. Fill with white frosting. Pipe a robe border on the handle and on the top and bottom of basket
- 5. For grass, place coconut in a resealable plastic bag; add green food coloring. Seal bag and shake to tint. Sprinkle above the top of the basket.
- 6. Frost and decorate eggs as desired with white and tinted frosting. Arrange in and around basket. Yield: 8-10 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC