Easter Basket Cake
Your guests won't guess how simple it is to cut and assemble this crowd-pleasing cake. Food coloring brightens the store-bought frosting that decorates the basket and eggs, and turns flaked coconut into green Easter grass.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 4 cups vanilla frosting
- Pink, yellow, blue and purple gel or paste food coloring
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 3 drops green food coloring
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the batter
- into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes;
- invert cake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Referring to this diagram, cut cake into a basket, handle and six
- eggs. Arrange basket and handle on a 19-in. x 14-in. covered board.
- Place 1/4 cup of frosting in each of three bowls; tint one pink, one
- yellow and one blue. Place 1 cup frosting in another bowl; tint
- purple. Leave the remaining frosting white.
- Frost the basket purple. Frost the sides of the handle white. Cut a
- hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag insert star tip #32.
- Fill with white frosting. Pipe a robe border on the handle and on
- the top and bottom of basket
- For grass, place coconut in a resealable plastic bag; add green food
- coloring. Seal bag and shake to tint. Sprinkle above the top of the