Early-Riser Cheddar Muffins Recipe
Despite the name, you don't have to be an early-riser to enjoy these hearty muffins (we often make them for brunch). My husband and children come running when they smell these tender muffins baking.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup finely chopped low-sodium ham
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and mustard. Combine the milk, egg substitute and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in ham and cheese.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffins cups about two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 189 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC