Dutch Spinach Salad
This dressing can also be served hot on wilted lettuce, or adapted for potato salad or coleslaw. My grandmother, mother and aunts made this Pennsylvania Dutch treat, and I'm happy to pass it on for others to enjoy!
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 to 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 4 cups torn spinach greens
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- In a small frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Do not drain. In a
- 1-cup measure, place egg, sugar, vinegar and enough water to measure
- 3/4 cup; pour over bacon and grease.
- Cook and stir until dressing thickness. Season to taste. Pour hot
- dressing over greens and onion. Toss; garnish with egg slices. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 198 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.