Dutch Spice Cookies Recipe
My sister gave me the recipe for these cookies, which have become a holiday tradition at our house. My kids tear into the spicy, crisp cookies right out of the oven. I prefer them cooled - but it's risky waiting. I might not get any!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 MIN. + CHILLING Bake 10 MIN./BATCH YIELD:20 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup finely chopped slivered almonds
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, spices, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in milk and almonds.
- 2. Roll dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut into 2-in. squares. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. Place squares 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 375° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 40 cookies.
2 cookies equals 187 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC