- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup finely chopped slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, spices, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in milk and almonds.
- Roll dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut into 2-in. squares. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place squares 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 375° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 40 cookies.
Originally published as Dutch Spice Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p44
Reviews for Dutch Spice Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review