Dutch Spice Bread
In Castleford, Idaho, Gladys De Boer makes this moist, spicy bread often during the busy Christmas season. "I wrap it and allow it to ripen for a day before slicing," she informs. "Serve it with cream cheese to enhance the old-fashioned gingerbread flavor."
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- In a bowl, combine corn syrup, brown sugar and egg; mix well. Combine
- dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture alternately with milk and
- mix well. Pour into a greased waxed paper-lined 9-in. x 5-in. loaf
- pan. Bake at 325° for 80-90 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes;
- remove from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap and let
- stand for 24 hours before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 170 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 201 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.