- Template on page XX
- Waxed paper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Milk and chopped sliced almonds
- Trace template onto waxed paper; cut out. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and orange peel. Combine the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, ginger and cardamom. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a parchment paper-lined surface, roll a small amount of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Trace around template or cut with floured 3-in. holiday-shaped cookie cutters, leaving 1 in. between cookies. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps if desired.
- Slide a baking sheet under the parchment paper and dough. If using template, trace decorative details with a toothpick. Brush cookies with milk and sprinkle with chopped almonds as desired. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Dutch Speculaas
"As usual, TOH does not provide all the information, like on the first day of the cookie countdown, they did not provide the cookie recipe...so disappointing!"
"These are wonderful. And, you don't need a template. You can use cookie cutters. The template was only for the design pictured anyway. These have a wonderful flavor. I will definetley be making these for Christmas giving."
"Will not make do not know how to get template."
""Template on page XX"??"