- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, raspberries, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg. Pour into crust; sprinkle with nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is set and crust is golden brown (if needed, cover edges loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning). Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dutch Rhubarb Pie
"The only two things that I grew this year were my already established raspberries and rhubarb, so I was really excited to try this recipe. I like that it didn't take a lot of sugar and I didn't think it was overwhelmingly tart. My filling was runny, but my pies never turn out picture perfect (filling wise), so I'm pretty sure it was my doing and not the recipe. This one is going in my permanent recipe file."
"I was disappointed with this recipe. The flavor of the raspberries were overwhelming. I couldn't taste the rhubarb at all even though I had increased the amount of rhubarb. If I had been making raspberry pie it would have been passable. I had just made rhubarb muffins and the taste of the rhubarb from my plant had been excellent. However, I was happy that with the relatively small amount of sugar it was still sweet enough. I went with a two crust pie in order to cut down on the over all amount of sugar."
"I like this recipe but I prefer to use all rhubarb instead of adding raspberries. I love the crumb topping. I make a whole wheat flour crust to make it more healthy."
"This is a very nice pie, using the brown sugar gives it the best taste ever. Do not use white sugar gives a different taste."