In Lynden, Washington, Perlene Hoekema whips up mashed potatoes with carrots and sour cream for a pleasing side dish.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Minced chives
- Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or
- until tender. Meanwhile, saute onion in butter in a small skillet
- for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain potatoes and carrots; mash. Beat in the onion, sour cream and
- salt. Sprinkle with chives. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-fat sour cream) equals 225 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 368 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.