Dutch Oven Pork Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Prepare grill or campfire for low heat, using 20-24 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- 2. Line a Dutch oven with heavy-duty aluminum foil; add pork. Combine the salsa, kidney beans, salt and pepper; pour over pork.
- 3. Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 10-12 of them. Using long-handled tongs, place remaining briquettes on pan cover.
- 4. Cook for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until thermometer reads 145°. To check for doneness, use the tongs to carefully lift the cover. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 9 servings (3 cups sauce).
4 ounces cooked pork with 1/3 cup sauce equals 248 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 445 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.