Dutch Oven French Onion Soup Recipe
"I've also made this savory soup in a slow cooker for a fuss-free meal. It cooks on low for 3 to 4 hours." Denise Hruz, Germantown, WI
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions; saute until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir until lightly browned. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the broth, soup and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 2. Meanwhile, place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Sprinkle with mozzarella; broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 192 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 875 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Dutch Oven French Onion Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC