Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove chicken from kettle; bone and cube. Return chicken to kettle along with the onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, 1 teaspoon of sage, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. For dumplings, combine the biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving equals 276 calories, 579 mg sodium, 29 mg cholesterol, 30 g carbohydrate, 20 g protein, 9 g fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat.
Reviews for Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.