- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated O'Brien hash brown potatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium-high heat, using 32-36 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- In a 10-in. Dutch oven, cook bacon over campfire until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Carefully press potatoes onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of Dutch oven. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream and, if desired, pepper sauce until blended. Pour over potatoes; sprinkle with cooked bacon and cheese.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 16-18 briquettes. Using long-handled tongs, place 16-18 briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook 20-25 minutes or until eggs are completely set and cheese is melted. To check for doneness, use tongs to carefully lift cover. If necessary, cook 5 minutes longer. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Dutch Oven Cheesy Bacon & Eggs
"We really wanted to like this but we just couldn't eat it. I made this exactly as written and it was so sad!!! Nothing but a greasy mess. Way too much cheese that also separated into a greasy glob. I do plan on "remaking" this with some major changes."
"I added a tbsp of chopped fresh jalapenos."