- 3 meaty beef soup bones (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place soup bones, water, onion, bouillon, vinegar, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Slowly bring to a boil; skim foam with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 hours. Discard bay leaves. Set bones aside to cool; remove meat from bones and dice. Skim fat from the broth surface. Add meat, carrots, celery, potatoes, barley, thyme and dill. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until barley and vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts)
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p48
Reviews for Dutch Oven Beef Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2017
"Love this soup!"
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2013
"When you cook you can use your own interpretation, and to taste."