Dutch Oven Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over high and brown meat on all sides. Combine all remaining ingredients except mushrooms; pour over meat. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer met to platter; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking juices; simmer 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and spoon over roast.
- 2. Meanwhile, reduce cooking juices to desired thickness by cooking over high heat. Spoon a portion of the gravy over roast and pass the rest. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Reviews for Dutch Oven Bavarian Pot Roast
"I am German and have a large German family, but this tastes nothing like I remember. It was OK, but I won't be making it again."
"This goes great with some Oktoberfest!"
"I make this pot roast with shredded beet salad and potato pancakes for my sister's birthday dinner. We love the favors of the tender meat."
"!I give that a (-)5 Stars has not flavor, all you taste is cinnamon,cinnamon and meat not a good ,we did not like it at all.Madabout how much money I spend for the meat.What a waste!"
"I use beer instead of apple juice, about a cup. And no mushrooms. This is one delicious pot roast."
"Very good flavor! Will make again"
"The only change I made was to rub the beef with salt and pepper before browning. This was a hit - served with mashed potatoes."
"The aroma of this pot roast while cooking is so enticing! My family and I agree that the gravy is divine."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.