Dutch Oven Bavarian Pot Roast Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
- 1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over high and brown meat on all sides. Combine all remaining ingredients except mushrooms; pour over meat. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer met to platter; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking juices; simmer 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and spoon over roast.
- 2. Meanwhile, reduce cooking juices to desired thickness by cooking over high heat. Spoon a portion of the gravy over roast and pass the rest. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 297 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.