Although my cooking experience is limited, I can prepare these sandwiches successfully every time. My grandma's recipe has been in the family for years. —Pat Lemmer, Greenville, Ohio
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup steak sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 12 to 14 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown roast in oil; drain. Add water; bring to a boil. reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; discard cooking juices or save for another use. Cool meat; shred and refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until thickened. Add shredded pork; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns.
Originally published as Barbecued Pork Sandwiches in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p232
Reviews for Dutch Oven Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review