Dutch Oat Bread
This delicious healthful bread is packed with oats and bran, tastes great toasted and is so easy that I always bake extra loaves for gifts. The recipe is from a 95-year-old friend who brought it from Holland.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk
- egg and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for
- 42-47 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire
- rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 134 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.