Dutch Meatballs (Bitterballen) Recipe
I host an annual Christmas party for some friends, and one year, I made a dish from each person's background, including these Dutch meatballs with a crispy coating. Talk about a hit! —Tracey Rosato, Markham, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups dry bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Stone-ground mustard, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Carefully add meat and parsley; cook and stir for 2-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the salt, nutmeg and pepper. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until chilled.
- 2. Place bread crumbs in a small shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil. Drop meat mixture by tablespoonfuls into bread crumbs; shape into balls. Dip meatballs in egg mixture, then coat again with crumbs. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- 3. Fry meatballs, a few at a time, for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with mustard if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 meatball (calculated without mustard) equals 72 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC