Dutch Letters Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold butter
- 1 cup ice water
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, beat the almond paste, sugar, egg and extract until smooth. Divide into four portions. On lightly floured waxed paper, roll each portion into a 12-in. x 1/2-in. rope; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into four portions.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 14-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Place one almond paste rope in the center of each rectangle. Moisten long edges of dough; fold over filling. Press seam to seal; tuck in ends.
- Transfer seam side down to greased baking sheets; form each into an S-shape. Whisk egg white and water; brush over dough. Using a fork, prick tops at 1-in. intervals to vent.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. To serve, cut into 2-in. pieces. Yield: 28 pastries.
Reviews for Dutch Letters
Sort By :
"Author review: This recipe is slightly different than the recipe I sent in. Either double the filling ingredients or cut the dough ingredients in half. Baking: Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, turn oven to 350 and bake 15 more minutes. Internal temperature should be 160 degrees. I give these away at Christmas. Delicious."
"Have loved this wonderful almond treat for years, but never thought it was something I would attempt at home, and couldn't find them here in MO. You sure made my day when I found this on your site...thank you so very much!"
"This recipe was quite a bit of work to make, but it was so good, I would definitely make it again."