Dutch Hot Chocolate
When my grandchildren come over, they like to snack on cookies and mugs of this hot chocolate. It has a sweet chocolate flavor with a hint of cinnamon. The flavor of store-bought mixes just can't compare.—Edna Hoffman, Hebron, Indiana
18 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 12 cups milk
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large kettle, combine the milk, water, 1 cup sugar, chocolate
- and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir
- until chocolate is melted. Add brown sugar and remaining sugar; cook
- and stir until heated through. Discard cinnamon. Yield: 18 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 82 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.