Dutch Cream Waffles
"My grandmother made these waffles in a waffle iron on a wood-burning stove," says Barbara Syme of Peoria, Arizona. "The crispy golden waffles are special to me because, 40 years ago, I served them to my husband the first night I cooked in our new house."
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg
- yolks on low speed; gradually add cream and beat for 1 minute. Add
- to flour mixture; combine on low speed, then beat on medium-high
- until smooth.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high until
- stiff peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's
- directions. Serve with syrup. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without syrup) equals 500 calories, 35 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 321 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.