Fresh cranberries bring tongue-tingling tartness and festive Christmas color to classic apple pie. With orange peel, spices and a crumb topping, this is a warm and wintry favorite. —Jerri Gradert, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; add the cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill with apple mixture and dot with butter.
- For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Dutch Cranberry-Apple Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p128
Reviews for Dutch Cranberry-Apple Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review