- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; add the cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, orange peel, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill with apple mixture and dot with butter.
- For topping, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Dutch Cranberry-Apple Pie
Sort By :
"I made this pie for the last Cook's Corner Recipe Challenge this year! I used 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 cups fresh whole cranberries, 1/2 cup raisins. I omitted the nuts called for in the recipe as there are people who are allergic to nuts. I used 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg. I used two prepared frozen pie shells, 9", which I'd thawed 15 minutes, then mended cracks in the shells and re-built the edging! I found that it was necessary for me to divide the filling between the 2 shells and not allow the filling to overflow when baking! I'd added the brown sugar, cornstarch and Navel orange, spices to the apple mixture and tossed gently to coat. I dotted with 3 Tbsp. butter, since I'd divided filling between the 2 shells! I found that I need to double the topping ingredients in order to have 2 crumb-topped pies! I added a total of 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg to the flour, brown sugar and cut in 6 Tbsp. butter, which I'd cut in cubes for easier blending with a pastry blender. I'd divided the crumb mixture between the 2 pies before baking them at 350o F. for exactly 50 minutes. I'd lined 2 baking sheets with foil to catch any drips and since my apt. oven is smaller, I baked pies separately so that I wouldn't burn the pastry/pie topping! This recipe made 2 lovely pies! Thank you for sharing this recipe!It's a real keeper for me! delowenstein"
"Great flavors!! I added 1 tsp vanilla."
"Love this pie as written. Even better the next day."
"I just made this and really love it -- the tart combination of cranberries, lemon, zest and apples. I also liked that the topping was not overly heavy or sweet."
"Escellent! Made this dessert for Thanksgiving but omitted raisins and it got rave reviews."