Dutch Beets Recipe
- 2 cans (13-1/4 ounces each) sliced beets
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid (discard remaining liquid); set beets aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the reserved beet liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and beets; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 107 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 728 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.