You can give a rosy complexion to most any meal by adding these sure-to-be- relished roots. "Even people who typically shy away from beets will polish these off. They're quick to make, too, since they start with convenient canned beets."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 cans (13-1/4 ounces each) sliced beets
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid (discard remaining liquid); set
- beets aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir
- in flour until blended. Gradually add the reserved beet liquid.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and beets; heat through.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 107 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 728 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.