Dutch Apple Salad Recipe
There's plenty of crunch in this refreshing salad that's perfect for autumn when apples are ripe for the picking. The simple milk and sugar dressing allows the fruit and veggie flavors to shine. You could use vanilla yogurt in place of the cooked dressing. —Shirley Joan Helfenbein, Lapeer, Michigan
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples, chopped
- 2 large Red Delicious apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the flour and sugar. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Transfer to a small bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover surface of salad dressing with waxed paper; refrigerate until cooled.
- 3. Just before serving, combine the apples and celery in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with grapes and walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC