- In a small saucepan, combine the apples, sugar, water and brown
- sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour; cook
- and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and lemon
- juice. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and oats. Cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon
- and salt. In a another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into
- dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined
- muffin cups three-fourths full. Drop apple mixture by tablespoonfuls
- into the center of each muffin. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 400° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in
- muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over muffins.
- Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 251 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.