- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a small saucepan, combine the apples, sugar, water and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in butter and lemon juice. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and oats. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Drop apple mixture by tablespoonfuls into the center of each muffin. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 400° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over muffins. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Dutch Apple Pie Muffins
Sort By :
"I'd make it again. Tastes like a cinnamon muffins with apple pie filling in the middle. Its not super sweet though. A good breakfast muffin. I wanna try adding some apple pie spice next time and maybe some apple juice to the muffin batter."
"The apple pie filling needs cinnamon and the cake portion was so dry it was inedible, had to throw them out."
"Very good and not to hard to make. I do not know where someone said about canned apple pie filling. There is no ingredient for canned. Only homemade. Good recipe"
"I made my own "Apple Pie Filling" as opposed to canned. The muffins are very rich and the crumb topping is perfect. I would add more spice next time and less sugar."