Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
This delicious pie was brought to my mother's home the day after my father died on Christmas Eve 25 years ago. Every time I bake it I am reminded of the tremendous outpouring of love and support that we received. It's a pie that my sweet daddy would have loved.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the egg, vanilla and sour cream; stir until smooth. Add apples; mix well. Pour into pie crust. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° and bake for 30 minutes more.
- For topping, combine flour and sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle topping over pie; bake 20 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or chilled. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Dutch Apple Pie in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p78
Reviews for Dutch Apple Pie(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review