Dutch Apple Loaf Recipe
Being of Dutch descent, I knew I had to try this recipe for a moist, fruity quick bread. It freezes well, so I often have a loaf on hand for church bazaars. —Gladys Meyer, Ottumwa, Iowa
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- 2. For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 243 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Dutch Apple Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC