Dutch Apple Loaf Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Dutch Apple Loaf(9)
Sort By :
very good! loved it
I prepared this bread 1/1/14. I made the following adjustments: I used 1/2 margarine (OR BUTTER) & 1/2 vegetable shortening so that I could conserve my supply or butter & margarine & added 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed mixture for added zest! I used 1/2 cup soured milk (1 Tbsp.. cider vinegar added to 1/2 cup 2% milk or evaporated milk) & I also added 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves, 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg & also used 1 tsp. salt instead of 1/2 tsp. of salt in the dry ingredients. I sifted the flour, baking soda & salt & spices together, rather than just combine them-it's much more evenly distributed that way! I used 2 cups UNPEELED chopped Granny Smith Apples & instead of nuts, I added 1/8 cup all-purpose flour & 1/2 cup candied fruit mix. I didn't use nuts! For topping, instead of 1/4 cup butter or margarine, I used 3 Tbsp. margarine OR butter & I used a fork to combine ingredients until crumbly. I baked the breads in two 8-1/2x4-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans for 60 to 65 minutes at 350o F. I use a standard cake tester to test my quick breads & cakes! This works well for me! I upgraded my review in case I'd reviewed it before as I'd used this recipe before working as one of the field editors! This is a really good recipe for an apple bread! I have it in my file folder of quick breads & when I want to use up any apples, I've used this recipe! thank you for sharing it! delowenstein
Best apple loaf I have ever made. Only gets better as it sits....if it lasts that long!
I'm new to baking but found this easy and delicious. Used 2 Granny Smith apples. Added a splash of lemon juice to 2% milk to get buttermilk. My wife gave it five stars!
This is a great recipe! I did exactly as the recipe says but I put it into 2 smaller bread pans and only cooked for 40 mins. could have probably done with 5 more mins but I think overcooking would ruin it! I served it for friend and they all said how nice it was!