Dutch Apple Cake Recipe
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 hour.
- In another bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Dutch Apple Cake
Sort By :
"My wife made this for me today, it was delicious. I hope she makes it again soon."
"Delicious cake, tender and moist, not dry at all like some said. They must have measured wrong."
"I will make this cake again, but I'm going to do as some of the reviews say, and layer the batter and apples. All of my apples were on the top of the cake, not throughout the cake like the picture. But the cake had lovely flavor and my husband loved it!"
"This cake was delicious and easy to make. I followed the original recipe and felt it was perfect as is."
"This was good. As others suggested, I layered the apples. I also sprinkled a sugar and cinnamon mixture on top before baking, which gave it a little more sweetness as it was a little bland. I will serve it warm with vanilla ice cream, or alone as a bread to have with coffee."