Dutch Apple Cake Recipe
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 Eggland's Best® Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 hour.
- In another bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Dutch Apple Cake
Sort By :
Batter was really thick, probably my doing and hard to spread.
Instead of using a loaf pan and sliding the apples in as the originator suggested I instead layered them as suggested by other reviewers.
Man was it ever dense. The cake itself was pretty dense then you add all those apples and it weighed a ton.
The cake itself was rather bland and I heavily spiced the apples which helped.
I'd add more cinnamon next time and maybe some nuts and a lighter cake batter.
Other wise it was a huge hit at book club.
It was easy to make and very delicious!!
This is a very dense cake. Delicious and easy to make. One tip layer bottom of loaf pan with some apples first then pour in batter and add rest of apples and pour juice from apples over batter. After slicing apples I put in a plastic bag with sugar and cinnamon. Serve with ice cream and cool whip ??
I made this cake for the first time the other day. My husband, my neighbor and I all loved it! The batter is very good and the taste of the fresh picked apples I used really came through. Some might call that bland, but I thought it was very good!
Very nice firm apple cake. Easy to me and my family loved it. I will make it often.