Dutch Apple Cake Recipe
My husband and I came to Canada over 40 years ago from Holland. This traditional Dutch recipe is a family favorite and frequently goes along with me to potluck suppers and other get-togethers. —Elizabeth Peters, Martintown, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. In another bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- 4. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice equals 282 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC