- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 3 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; let stand for 1 hour.
- In another bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Dutch Apple Cake
Sort By :
"Thank you for sharing your recipe! This has become a new favorite! The only thing I've done different is folding the apples into the mixture and pour it into a Bundt pan. I also have made this with blueberries instead of apples following the same recipe and it came out fantastic!"
"very good ...i added 1 tsp baking powder... and extra cinnamon and some nutmeg to the apples. i also added a little lemon juice and a bit of sour cream... and i also only put 3 eggs instead of 4 . turned out moist . i made it in the loaf pan was good that way .. i used 4 apples ...will make it again :)"
"My wife made this for me today, it was delicious. I hope she makes it again soon."
"Delicious cake, tender and moist, not dry at all like some said. They must have measured wrong."
"I will make this cake again, but I'm going to do as some of the reviews say, and layer the batter and apples. All of my apples were on the top of the cake, not throughout the cake like the picture. But the cake had lovely flavor and my husband loved it!"