Dumpling Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- RICE DUMPLINGS:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/3 cup cooked rice, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, vegetables, soup mix, oregano and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add rice and parsley; toss. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir into rice mixture just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 218 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 674mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Dumpling Vegetable Soup
"Easy , quick, and tasty. I didn't have the onion soup mix so I just sauted some diced onion. I added some garlic and instead of using water, I used vegetable broth."