Dumpling Vegetable Soup Recipe
Delicious rice dumplings give a homemade touch to this hearty soup that takes advantage of canned goods, frozen vegetables and dry soup mix. "My mom found this to be a quick, nourishing all-in-one-pot meal, and so do I," says Peggy Linton of Cobourg, Ontario.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- RICE DUMPLINGS:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/3 cup cooked rice, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, vegetables, soup mix, oregano and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add rice and parsley; toss. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir into rice mixture just until moistened.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Dumpling Vegetable Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 2003, p46
Reviews for Dumpling Vegetable Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >