Dump Truck Cake
GEARING UP to host a construction-themed birthday? This mouthwatering hauler will get your party on a roll! Our home economists made the treat speedy by using a packaged cake mix and spreading on east-to-mix frosting. What' more, they formed the truck's shape with basic loaf pans instead of a special mold. You can pave the way for your own big rig, too...just follow the simple instructions featur
8-10 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon shortening
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow and blue liquid food coloring
- 3 Ho-Ho snack cakes
- 6 chocolate-covered miniature doughnuts
- Shoestring black licorice
- 2 large white gumdrops
- 2 red M&M's
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces)
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into two
- greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a serrated knife, level the top of each cake. Crumble removed
- tops; set cakes and crumbs aside.
- In a small bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk and vanilla until smooth.