Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1. For dulce de leche, our sweetened condensed milk into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; cover with foil. Place pie plate in a large shallow pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake at 425° for 1-1/2 hours or until caramel-colored. Whisk dulce de leche to blend; transfer to a bowl. Cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed. Form dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- 4. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thick circle. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, trimming to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 6. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 7. To serve, spoon dulce de leche into crust. Layer with bananas and filling; top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 697 calories, 43 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 195 mg cholesterol, 328 mg sodium, 69 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.