- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- For dulce de leche, our sweetened condensed milk into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; cover with foil. Place pie plate in a large shallow pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake at 425° for 1-1/2 hours or until caramel-colored. Whisk dulce de leche to blend; transfer to a bowl. Cool for 1 hour; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork, until dough holds together when pressed. Form dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in milk and cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate until chilled.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-in. thick circle. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, trimming to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-5 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, spoon dulce de leche into crust. Layer with bananas and filling; top with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
"This dessert is amazing!! It does take All day and make sure the crust is completely cooled!!"
"Very easy and yummy to create. An excellent way to use up bananas getting too soft. Will definitely make again!"